Thursday, January 28, 2010

Enjoying Iceland







Wednesday (our preparation day) we took Elder Christensen and Elder Ellsworth to Vík to see the sights along the way. This was the first time for Elder Christensen. It was a fun day with very little wind, temperatures above freezing and no rain. Although we have seen all these sites many times now, it was fun to see them again through their eyes. A new one for me though was getting wet by the ocean. The tide was in further than we have ever seen and we could not get to the cave and rocks we always go to. I was or at least I thought was far back from the surf when suddenly I saw it coming at me. I took off running but not fast enough and I ended up with soaked shoes.

Then in the evening the Elders asked me to help them teach a family we have been working with for a long time. They came to Church Sunday and asked us to come and teach again. The Elders assigned me obedience. Tre and her two children were very intent listening to the Elders teach and even me. I appreciated the thoughts that came to me about how obedience to Gospel principles has worked in their lives and how Tre has been obedient and received blessing. Also how Heavenly Father wants us to be happy and have joy and that is why he gives us commandments just like when Tre gives instruction and guidance to her children because she loves them and wants the best for them. They are such a sweet family and we are looking forward to the day they are baptized. It has been a slow process because they are from Thailand and she speaks more English than Icelandic and the kids speak more Thai than Icelandic or English. They listen though and are slowly learning the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

After the lesson the Elders wanted to help them with their hook work. They attach hooks to leaders for the fishing industry. The leaders are in bundles of 100. For each bundle of 100 complete with hooks they receive 85 krónur or at todays exchange $0.66. I call it slave labor because the most the Elders can do in one hour is one bundle of hooks and for Tre and her family I think the most one can do in 1 hour is 6 bundles.

All in all it was a very enjoyable and fulfilling day.

No comments: