Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hailstorm, Thunder and Lightning in South Iceland

These pictures were taken last night as I was writing the blog items on our beautiful day. The bottom two were taken at 10:48 PM and the top one at 11:26 PM. Sitting here at the computer you completely loose track of time when it is so beautiful out.


Yesterday was such a beautiful day I forgot about the weather the day before. I had spent a good time Tuesday morning cleaning tar off our car. After many car washes and trying by hand too, I could not get the winter tar off the car. I then purchased a product made specifically for removing winter road tar. You spray the car and it melts the tar. It isn't quite that easy as it took several tries but I finally had a beautiful car again. Then we went teaching with the Elders and after while taking them to another appointment we got caught in quite a winter storm. It was snowing and hailing and lightning and thunder. Elder Teodoro said it never thunders in Iceland and we have heard many Icelanders say the same thing. Well the roads were deep in slush and I commented this is not good without my winter tires. Then last night as I was writing my blog on the gorgeous day we had we read the following news article.

"A hailstorm, accompanied by thunder and lightning hit heavily trafficked Hellisheidi mountain pass between Reykjavík and Hveragerdi (this is where we were at the time) in southwest Iceland yesterday. The ground went white in a matter of minutes and at least one car slid off the road.

“There were very dark clouds in the sky when I was driving across Hellisheidi and then suddenly everything turned white and there was thunder and lighting,” said Ingibjörg Bragadóttir.

Police were called out to assist commuters. Snow is unusual at this time of year and all drivers have switched to summer tires. Thunder and lighting is even more seldom in Iceland."

Then this morning we had to take the Elders to Reykjavík and the weather is again rain and high winds. Coming home we were going the speed limit of 90KM when we turned staight into the wind. I was in cruise control and I looked down at the speedometer and we gradually slowed to 70KM. I had to put my foot to the floor just to keep going that fast. We always joke about the weather changing quickly at home but it seems even more extreme here in Iceland.

No comments: