Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Horseback Riding - Never Again

We have been so busy with Lisa, David, Gunnar and Qatar visiting since June 7 that I haven't had an opportunity to blog. Well yesterday should have slowed me down but we still toured today but home early enough to make at least this short entry. Yesterday David and Gunnar went walking on the glacier and Lisa, Qatar and Eileen and I did the horseback experience. When they brought out a horse and said this is yours, I wondered about the meaning behind the statement but never dreamed it meant I got the horse with an attitude. The picture of us following on the beach was typical of the 2 hours. My horse would fall way behind and then suddenly take off to catch up. I think he wanted to get rid of me but worst was the abuse my body took. I think every muscle in my torso aches. It hurts to laugh, cough, sigh and just about everything else. I won't mention the worst of it.

I think I made the mistake of telling the proprietor a friend told me to make sure we got horses with a true Icelandic gait. The proprietor said "all my horses have an excellent Icelandic gait it is just up to the rider to handle the horse correctly." The proprietor then gave us instructions on how to ride which were the same as my friend told me. I think my horse just didn't want me on him and decided to try to get rid of me. Several times he almost pulled me off the front but the hardest part was when he took off running.

The upside of the trip was the scenic nature - we had a beautiful ride on the black sand beach.

The top picture was after the ride. Each of the horses took turns rolling in the same gravel.

The bottom picture is the horse Eileen rode. I don't have a picture of my horse as I think he was too much for me to handle and I kept trying to make friends with him rather than taking pictures of him. In the background are Qatar and Lisa.

2 comments:

H. Wimmer said...

those horse are beautiful!!!

meredith said...

it sounds like you guys had a great time. I hope that all of your kids get a chance to visit you before you come home.