Saturday, May 23, 2009

Paradise Reclaimed


Systir Bremner bought Halldór Laxness book Paradise Reclaimed even though she had no idea what the book was about. She just wanted to read one of his books as he is a famous Icelandic author and Nobel Prize winner. She had heard lots of people here in Iceland talk about Paradise Reclaimed so that was the one (she really didn´t have much choice as the tour guide insisted we had to go into the house immediately before she could really look over the books). I must not be much of a critic as I can´t agree with the The New York Times Book Review, New York Herald Tribune or The Atlantic Monthly comments on the cover and back of the book. The book is an interesting weaving of Icelandic people and Utah Mormons of the late 1800´s. I am not sure if you are not Icelandic or been to Iceland you would find it that interesting but worth a look from a different perspective.

1 comment:

TStevens said...

Laxness won the Nobel Prize for literature. Our library system had a copy of one of his books but I do not have enough time to read it in the next two weeks.

I will probably read that book when I am there.