Sunday, March 15, 2009

Westmann Islands for Sacrament Meeting



What a trip we had to the Westmann Islands to have Sacrament Meeting with the one member family and several investigators. When we started on the ferry the sea was mild but then we got into gale force winds and while I was getting sick the gale force winds actually got Mom sick for the first time. It got really bad near the end and I felt sick the rest of Friday and most of Saturday. We taught lessons on Friday and did some service work. Then the member family invited us to dinner. Mom was amazing - she not only ate the first helping of fish but had a second. There were two fish dishes. One was fried Haddock and the other was a casserole with Haddock which is the one Mom ate and liked as there was lots of flavor with curry and other spices. I liked both as the fish had just been caught and it was so delicious and melted in your mouth. When we left their home the winds were so bad the mirror on the wall was moving and I almost got blown down the stairs. Saturday morning we got up and prepared for Sacrament Meeting with a total of 9 from 12-1. On the way Mom almost got blown over. After we left the meeting the Elders wanted lunch. I still could not think of eating since we were to get on the boat again at 4. I was not looking forward to going home as the sea continued to get much worse - winds were 40 m/s with gusts to 50 m/s (which converts to 89 to 112 MPH) . Just as they finished lunch the boat called and said due to weather the trip home was canceled. Yea now what do we do. We went back to the hotel and got rooms again. Since the Elders room had not been cleaned yet they got a slight discount. I asked if breakfast could be removed from our bill as I would not be eating it. Said no it is a cost of the room they just break it out for accounting purposes. I was hoping to get it removed because it isn't worth what they charge and I didn't want to eat before getting on the boat at 8:15 this morning. The desk clerk told me I must eat before getting on the boat as that helps with the seasickness. She also told me I should get a cabin to lay down and do it on my left side. I thought well I'll try the breakfast since we have to pay for it but I wasn't going rent a cabin too. We got on the boat and the captain said it was going to be a rough ride so I got the couch in the lobby and laid on my left side with feet on the floor as I was sharing the couch. It was very uncomfortable but I could feel my stomach starting to turn before I laid on my left side. After I turned it settled down and I spent most of the three+ hours in that position. It was definitely a very rough ride but no one in our group lost it. Mom said she was sick and that is unusual for her. So I really think the big breakfast and laying on my left side helped. She had breakfast but did not stay on her left side the whole time. We got off the boat and drove straight to Church and were only 1/2 hour late. Not bad for being stuck in the Islands overnight. As I have been writing this blog I have notices everything is rolling. It is an odd experience to feel like the room, the table and the computer are all rolling up and down. I guess that what 3+ hours on a roller coaster can do to you.

1 comment:

Spaz said...

I can't believe the boat ride. How beautiful the island must be. The fish certainly sounded good.