Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving



Much of Wednesday was spent preparing food for Thanksgiving except for the great teaching we had with Eyþor, Dagmar and Jón - great family. I made a berry cheesecake and peeled all the apples and potatoes for the apple pie and mashed potatoes, but then I blew it as I was heating up the berries for pouring over the cheesecake. Instead I burned the bottom of the apple pie (remember these kitchens are small and no where to put things to cool while continuing to make other things), so I had to run to the store and buy more apples for another pie. Maybe there was madness to my plan as I got a whole apple pie to leave home. Thursday we drove to Reykjavík for Thanksgiving dinner with all the missionaries and a young couple from the US going to the University of Iceland. The drive was treacherous with 45 MPH winds and gusts even greater but since the roads were dry and free of ice I managed to keep the car on the road if not always straight. Way too much good food with turkey (at about $5 per pound), dressing, jams, mashed potatoes, green beans, fruit salad, bread, cheesecake, and apple and pumpkin pie along with whipped cream. Wow makes me hungry even though I ate too much yesterday. We have so much to be thankful for and then we over eat!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! I love Thanksgiving. sounds like a good dinner, albeit expensive.

Unknown said...

I am glad you had a good Thankgiving. Sorry it is so cold, it is going to be 40 today and I may hang the Christmas lights since I meant to do it before it got cold. I am going green this year and ti was expensive. I bought four boxes of 200 ct led lights. Now I guess I will have to store them after the hoildays instead of tossing them like I do the $1 a string lights.