Friday, November 7, 2008

Conservation?


Those of you who know me, know I am always turning off lights, shutting doors and windows and whatever else to conserve our natural resources as well as our money. So when we moved into our apartment and found the toilet ran constantly, I asked the landlord to fix it (I couldn't figure our how to get the top off to see if I could fix it). He could not figure out how to get the top off either and said we don't worry about the water usage so it is OK. Then this week the toilet wouldn't flush so I figured out how to get the top off and discovered the entire underside was covered with mold as well as the wall behind. I cleaned up the mold which probably accounts for our sore throats but I could not stop the flow of water so asked the landlord to again fix it as the constant flow also caused a constant flow of water on the floor from the sweating tank. He came last night and proceeded to break the insides and said he will have to get another and for now we are using a bucket to flush the toilet. He then said he noticed moisture on our windows and in Iceland that means we have to open the windows and turn up the heat. Again my conservation kicks in and he said OH it' OK that is what we do in Iceland to get rid of the moisture so it doesn't ruin the windows. So in our living room, kitchen and bedroom we have one each one foot square windows that are now open. It is nice though because we can hear the river better with them open especially in the bedroom. I am not sure how long this process will work though as we have the heat (hot water radiators) turned as high as they will go and it is in the 30's with no wind. When the winds pick back up which is most of the time and the temperatures drop again, I think the windows will have to go closed again. The picture was taken from our living room at 9:30 AM this morning.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is crazy.You would think they would find a more efficient way to handle the moisture problems.

Unknown said...

Well you are not paying for utilities? With the financial problems you would think they would conserve something. You need Damp Rid. Good luck. I have never been as cold as I was up on the river with Bonnie one Christmas Eve. It was damp and very cold. Maybe Bonnie has some ideas, she lived in a very dapm area.

Spaz said...

Hot water must be in abundance in Iceland.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Yes that seems to be a blessing we have - lots of smelly hot water. Every time you turn on the hot water you smell sulfur too!

Paige said...

so I know I am weird but can you send a pic of the toilets, ya know do they look like Romanian toilets. What does the inside of the apts look like too?