Monday, November 3, 2008

Fish?

I think everyone know that Eileen does not like fish - either cook it or eat it! So even with all the great fish in Iceland I have not had any until today. I bought some smoked Icelandic salmon which the Elders told me was very good. So for lunch I had a salmon sandwich. It was very good but I have to learn how to get it out of the package and the skin removed without touching it as Eileen did not like the smell on me. Oh well I enjoyed it anyway. They do have a great imported dried ham product like prosciutto but not as dry that I enjoy for lunches. I may have to give that up if according to some Icelanders we are not getting food imported at this time. There is a real fear among the Icelanders that we are going to run out of food and that it is going to get really bad here before it gets better. It seems money is having a hard time getting here too at least from England. The money the Church sends to Iceland to pay bills for the buildings and the Elders apartments comes from England and even though we have a receipt showing the money was transferred last Wednesday to the bank here in Iceland, the bank cannot find the money. We have a missionary leaving on his mission and his parents told us they cannot send money out either to pay for his mission. The next 17 months will prove to be interesting.

3 comments:

Heather said...

wow, and I thought things were crazy in the economy here. let us know how things go.

Darron said...

We never had anything like this level of complexity with money when I was a missionary. But the complexity with the language, that was everywhere.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

After more than a week the bank which was taken over by the government finally told us they are no longer using the ID number we always used to transfer money. They gave us a new ID and said to cancel the original transfer as they can´t find the money. So far the original has not been found and the new transaction still has not arrived. I sure am glad the ATM´s are still working. But I wonder for how long.