Monday, May 2, 2011

Eating Healthy

When we were in Iceland the Reykjavik Branch President got us interested in Green Smoothies but since we didn't have a blender we waited until we got home to try them.  At first I thought the spinach flavor was too strong for me but as I worked on different ingredients I found one we like quite well.  I experiment when we are out of our favorite ingredients so we do have some interesting ones at times.

Then when we were visiting Randy and Heather, Heather made homemade Hummus.  We often buy Hummus in a quart size container so I hadn't thought about making it myself. Then at a Farmers Market in Arizona we bought some hummus that was supposed to be so much better for us because it had no oil or tahini.  It was good but expensive and now we are back in Minnesota so I decided to follow Heather's example and make my own.  I now have two varieties I really like which have no oil or tahini.  I use it mainly in place of mayo on my sandwiches. 

Then today I was reading an article on the importance of fiber in our diet and all the health benefits.  I was surprised by the first to suggestions of ways to add fiber to our diet.  First was to use Hummus in place of mayo and the second was to eat seedy fruit instead of drinking fruit juice.  I sure felt good because those are two changes we have made and we are doing even some of the others.  It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable change when we have our physicals.

2 comments:

Heather said...

It is a lot cheaper to make your own than to buy it.
what do you substitute the oil or tahini with?

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

The man at the farmers market said you don't have to use oil or tahini just what ever ingredients you want to use. I tried just chickpeas, minced garlic (not in oil)and Kalamatra olives and it worked great. Next I substituted artichoke hearts (not in oil) and that was great too. I don't add any salt either as there is a big push now to reduce salt in our diets.