Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hnefatafl or Viking Chess



When we arrived in Iceland, Elder Redford would pick up interesting rocks on Preparation Days. I asked why, he said he was collecting them to make a game called Hnefatafl or Viking Chess. We later came across the game in a museum. The price was $50 and it was just made of a cardboard game board and 1/2" dowels cut about 1/4" thick and painted just on the top - very cheaply made and not something that would last. I started collecting rocks too. This week even though I have nothing to make a board out of but paper, I decided to make the game up and try it. Elder Ellsworth and Elder Christensen came over for dinner on Preparation Day yesterday an hour early so they tried out the game. It doesn't look real challenging when you first start playing it but as you begin to learn the rules if does become very challenging.

For dinner we had salmon. Eileen does not like fish and won't fix it, but I felt we needed to try some before we left. We bought it frozen in the discount grocery store we shop at. I was concerned it might not be that good but when I opened it and there was no smell I thought that was a good sign. There was no smell cooking it either and it was very good - no fishy taste. It is a shame Eileen doesn't like fish as I think we could have enjoyed many more varieties while we were here.

No comments: