Saturday, January 10, 2009

Svið

In case you are wondering what Svið is it is boiled lambs head. Tradition has it there was a time the Icelander´s had very little to eat so besides eating rotten shark they also ate the lambs head and still do. I will say that I enjoyed the little bit of meat I found inside the head but I did not go to the extend of eating the skin, fat and eyeball which several of the Elders did. Systir Bremner would not even eat the good bit of meat I dug out for her. You have to understand that before you even can eat the lamb you have to cut through the skin and fat from the mouth to the ear and then take the lower jaw in one hand and the upper jaw in the other and pull apart. Our host had given us each towels to put across our laps as well as napkins and all were used. Oh for the good old days - NO. I will not call them back!

2 comments:

Darron said...

I am so happy to see Elder Fillmore in the back of this picture. He and both of his companions made it safely I hope.

TStevens said...

I would have tried it just to talk about the experience for years to come.