Sunday, January 4, 2009

Success!


When we arrived in Selfoss the space rented for the chapel had just been converted into classrooms but the last of the 4 classrooms designated as the Young Women's class room was not completed as they overspent the budget. The members were asked to finish the room. The room had been made by taking part of another room and adding a new wall in the hall - not the best arrangement as it is long and narrow. One member did some work to smooth the transition where the wall had been removed and had painted the room as well as the floor thinking it was being replaced. Friday we picked up a used whiteboard from the Reykjavik Chapel and took to Selfoss. It had a good bend in it so we put it on the floor of the chapel and piled chairs and tables on it until it was flat then went and bought paint to finish the YW room. Saturday morning we went to the chapel and removed all the items off the whiteboard to get it out of the way of a Relief Society activity and the board went right back to its bend so I decided we would have to see what happens when we mounted it. I then went to work painting the room. The ceilings are so high that standing on the top of the ladder on my tiptoes and the paint brush at the ends of my fingers I could just get the brush into the corners. Painting the room was a challenge with the height, the paint and the type of roller. I finished the room about 3 PM and we went home for dinner and to wait for the paint to dry. We went back at 6 PM to hang the whiteboard and I was shocked at how bad the paint job looked. I repainted the room, then took the whiteboard off the wall we were going to use in the YW room as the one from Reykjavik was too big. Then I went to work hanging the bent whiteboard. With Systir Bremner's help we got it mounted to the wall at the top and the bottom stuck out 8" from the wall. We tried pushing it tight to the wall but it wouldn't go so I tried putting a screw up 10 cm from the bottom. With us both pushing we were able to get it screwed to the wall and then I was able to get the bottom rail screwed to the wall on that one side. No matter how hard we pushed we could not get the other side attached to the wall but at this point it is only 3-4" away from the wall and it is in the corner and I don't think anyone even noticed today. (We were happy to see it was still on the wall this morning as I was afraid the screws might pull out of the wall from the pressure). I am going to get longer screws and see if I can draw the last corner into the wall. I then scraped all the paint off the linoleum as I felt it would look better even with the area that is not covered. We then hung the whiteboard as the walls were now dry - it is almost 10 PM at this point. We put in the chairs and felt good that the room was complete except for the flooring, baseboards, table, bulletin boards and cabinet. Today the YW´s President and her counselor were very happy to have their room and not to have to meet in the entry which is where the Elders Quorum is going to meet when we start the 3 hour block. You can see the tip of a ladder in the picture because we have no where to store it, but at least they were happy with the room today. I just wish my body felt as good - that was a long hard day and my body didn't like it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It never ends does it? Work work until you die. Oh well I guess I would get really bored watching TV all the time.