Saturday, December 20, 2008

Grateful for Studded Tires

It appears every time we have to go somewhere this is what we are greeted with - actually this is lite compared to some days. I developed the way to clear the car which is with a big broom first and then the ice scraper to clear the ice. We are blessed though with studded tires or as they call them winter wheels or tires with nails. The first week we were here we didn't have them and the Elders had to push us out of a members driveway. Now we can go just about anywhere. We almost got stuck in Reykjavik yesterday leaving the apartment as the snow had built up along side the car and when I pulled over it to get out of our parking (parallel) spot we had quite a time getting over the pile but thanks to studded tires we make it. I can see they are very damaging to the roads as there are groves in the streets and highways but they sure are nice for getting around in the snow and ice which we have lots.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it is a heavy snow year. We are snowing right now.

Paige said...

the broom technique, thats what we had to use in Anchorage...loved it

Heather said...

Snowed here yesterday too. big storm. It took Randy 3 and 1/2 hours to get home from work and he left at 2:30pm. Crazy. I did use our AWESOME shovel to clear our driveway and I'm glad I didn't have to use a tiny shovel to do it like you have been.
Stay safe.

Darron said...

So you are going back and forth between Reykjavik and Selfoss?

H. Wimmer said...

NO snow here just tons and tons of blessed rain and 15ft of snow in flagstaff....This will be a fun spring with all the wild flowers...I can't wait~~~

meredith said...

Wow. I thought we were bad here. I'm so glad to live somewhere warmer and less snowy than Iceland!!!