Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fun Young Men's Activity



Actually the pictures have nothing to do with the Young Men's activity but we didn't have camera so just thought I would add pictures of waterfalls coming out of the lava with no source for the water visible.

Tuesday I got a call about 2 PM from the YM’s President asking me to teach the YM about architecture that evening. Then a little while later he asked me to teach them how to build a bridge or tower out of straws or Popsicle sticks. I asked how many were coming and he said possibly 2. I headed to the stores to look for materials. After 3 stores I found masking tape and straws. I did a little demo on the strength of a square vs a triangle and then showed them the challenge to build a bridge between two tables to hold a bottle of spices. I put each YM with a missionary to accomplish the task. Sverir age 12 really had a grasp of the idea, drew a very good diagram and went to work. They ended up building something different but it worked and held the weight. I don't think the other team paid much attention to my demo as their design wouldn’t even hold itself up. It was a fun activity and I think they learned something new too.

The first counselor in our branch presidency who brought his son also brought me some rocks. On our Pioneer trek on Saturday I was picking up rocks and asked him where I could find some red pumice, so I think he wanted me to have some even more interesting rocks.

No comments: