Wednesday, February 25, 2009

YEA! I got my drivers license today

In Iceland you are required to get an Icelandic drivers license within your first 6 months in the country. We have been here 5 so I made it time. The challenges were their written test and the cost. You have to have a driving school instructor set up your lessons and then schedule your tests. The instruction which amounted to less than 3 hours cost $150. There are no instructional manuals in English so the couple before gave us one for Denmark which is not the same as Iceland and then 4 sample tests which are not much help either. The written tests cost $22 and I had to pay that twice as I failed the first time (my instructor says he doubts any Icelander who got his license before the new tests could pass the test the first time. The couple that was here when we arrived had to take the test twice too.) I met my instructor the day before the written test and asked him questions I had based on the materials and he answered but could not explain the discrepancies in some of the questions. I took the test the next morning and failed because I didn't know what a locked lateral position was for an unconscious breathing person. I was immediately rescheduled for a week later and I passed with no errors. Then the driving test was scheduled for today and I met my instructor for the 2nd time yesterday and we drove for about and hour. Then we met again this morning for 20 minutes of driving before the test. The examiner was the same person who administered my first written test which was a little stressing since he got after me for making notes after I failed the written test. They charge $62 for a 45 minute exam but before 30 minutes were up he said congratulations you only made two mistakes - going 40 km/h in a 30 km/p zone but quickly slowing down and the second was going over a speed bump too fast. There were children on both sides of the street (it is like Halloween here today) and I was going slower than the posted speed and paying more attention to them and did not see the sign or the new type speed bump I had never seen before. So with the eye exam and all other charges it only cost $266 to get my drivers license! The previous couple said it would cost $500 per person but that was before the economic crash in Iceland and our money is worth more now.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations!

Nessa said...

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just ride bikes everywhere and not have to have gotten an Iceland License? I can't believe how expensive it is...the next time Eric tells me that I spent too much on something I'll just tell him, "Hey- we could be in Iceland!" :)

H. Wimmer said...

Dad they gave you a drivers License...Just kidding...