Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mosiah 2:17 Learn Wisdom


Studying for Sunday School I liked the following from the Institute Manual - "King Benjamin's comment about service to fellowmen (Mosiah 2:17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.) suggests in beautiful simplicity the doctrine taught by the Savior: "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40) The manual then goes on to quote Elder Ivins "The great value, I believe, that the Church has for us is the opportunity it gives us to serve, for, after all, the great benefits of life come from service. Generous, open-hearted, full service to our fellows, I believe, it the thing which brings us the greatest happiness. We can serve our families and gain happiness by it; we can serve our friends and gain happiness by it; but if we would be happy we must serve and serve generously, and I believe myself that the greatest happiness that comes to me from observing the standards of the Church and meeting my obligations to it is the spiritual values that I get out of that service." (CR Oct 1948 pp 47-48).

We had our final interview last night with President Spackman and he submitted our missionary recommendation to the Brethren. That event together with the blessings we received serving in Romania and the name of this blog made these thoughts have even greater significants to me. The photo is from when we entered the MTC July 4, 2005 but since we haven't changed that much we thought it appropriate to use for the required photo for the missionary recommendation.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I like the picture!

Jennifer Rose said...

Bremners,
I've been watching your blog to see where your new mission will be. I'm excited to find out! You are both great missionaries.
Cu drag,
Jenn Rose