Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fun Find

Eileen and I are the Family History Center Directors for the Austin Ward Family History Center.  When we were given the calling the library had not been used in some time and the equipment was out of date and would not connect to the internet or the Church intranet.  First we were told we needed to upgrade the software which took several weeks to receive.  Once we received it we could not load it on the computers because they did not have DVD drives.  So next we had to wait for computers that arrived this Friday.  We thought they would be ready to go but we still had to load the software they sent us and then had to download additional programs.  I got one up fairly quickly but after 4 hours we left the second running and went home.  It was finally finished this morning.  But the exciting part was yesterday while I was waiting for the software to load on the one computer I worked on the other searching family names.  Since I never knew Grandpa Bremner I decided to see what I could find out about him.  I was surprise to learn he served in the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Forces during WWI.  I was also surprised that his birthday was not what we had been told.  I continued looking for information but the only other item I found was the 1901 Canadian Census for Prince Edward Island which listed the same birthday as this record so I feel we were given the wrong information before and will now correct our records.  I tried finding more information on others but this was all I found this time. 

No comments: