Monday, October 20, 2008

Sveinbjörg Guðmundsdóttir

Sunday night we picked up the Elders from the boat and then went to sing happy birthday to a member of the branch - Sveinbjörg Guðmundsdóttir. It was her birthday and when I wished here happy birthday at Church she seemed quite surprised. I asked if we could come visit here with the Elders in the evening and she said yes anytime. When we arrived she told us she had turned down a dinner invitation from her son because we were coming. Little did we know what a special experience we were going to enjoy. Eileen asked her about translating the Book of Mormon into Icelandic. She proceeded to tell us the events of the translation. As she did the room was filled with the Spirit testifying of the special experience she had. When she finished she said I have only told that story a few times and then said maybe I shouldn't tell you everything but we said we would love to hear more and she then told us about translating the Temple Ceremony and her trips to Utah to do it. Again the room was filled with the Spirit testifying of the truth of what we were privileged to hear. We really hated to leave as it was such a fantastic experience listening to her and feeling of the Spirit. The Elders had never heard the story before and their two years are up in December - they were really touched by the experience too and were glad we took them with us.

7 comments:

Heather said...

sounds wonderful.

Nessa said...

What a great experience! I'm glad that you are enjoying this mission so much. Iceland is blessed to have you both! Oh-and the hotdogs and sauce that you left on my blog sounds truly disgusting...Cade will love it!

H. Wimmer said...

it sounds like you guys are having an amzing time...and what an awesome story....

meredith said...

Totally unrelated to your post, but yesterday after church, Lily asked who gave her the pretty 3 bear stature. When I told her it was from you, she had a big smile and said that "The sister Bremners love me mommy. I miss them."

Darron said...

I considered Sveinbjörg one of my best friends while I was a missionary in Iceland back in the 80's. She is like Moroni. If everyone were like here, the powers of hell would have absolutely NO hold on people.

Unknown said...

I loved reading this blog post. J am completely fascinated with Iceland, especially the church there. Even more, I am fascinated by the story of Sveinbjörg Guðmundsdóttir and the translation of the book of Mormon. For some reason her story gives me so much faith and confirmation. I stumbled across your blog as I am preparing for a summer internships in Iceland prior to completing my senior year at Utah valley university. I would love to email you more in preparation for my trip. If you would be so inclined it would be of major assistance to me. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I loved reading this blog post. J am completely fascinated with Iceland, especially the church there. Even more, I am fascinated by the story of Sveinbjörg Guðmundsdóttir and the translation of the book of Mormon. For some reason her story gives me so much faith and confirmation. I stumbled across your blog as I am preparing for a summer internships in Iceland prior to completing my senior year at Utah valley university. I would love to email you more in preparation for my trip. If you would be so inclined it would be of major assistance to me. Thanks!